Any coniferous tree of the genus Picea, as the Norway spruce (P. excelsa), and the white and black spruces of America (P. alba and P. nigra), besides several others in the far Northwest. See Picea.
- Any of various coniferous evergreen trees of the genus Picea, having needlelike foliage, drooping cones, and soft wood often used for paper pulp.
- Any of various similar or related trees.
- The wood of any of these trees.
- A grayish green to dark greenish black.
- Neat, trim, and smart in appearance: "a good-looking man; spruce and dapper, and very tidy” ( Anthony Trollope).
- To make neat and trim: spruced up the chairs with new slipcovers.
- To make oneself neat and smart in appearance: He was sprucing for the school dance.