- A short spike or spiked wheel that attaches to the heel of a rider's boot and is used to urge a horse forward.
- Something that serves as a goad or incentive.
- A spurlike attachment or projection, as:
- A spinelike process on the leg of some birds.
- A climbing iron; a crampon.
- A gaff attached to the leg of a gamecock.
- A short or stunted branch of a tree.
- A bony outgrowth or protuberance.
- A lateral ridge projecting from a mountain or mountain range.
- An oblique reinforcing prop or stay of timber or masonry.
- Botany A tubular or saclike extension of the corolla or calyx of a flower, as in a columbine or larkspur.
- An ergot growing on rye.
- A spur track.
- To urge (a horse) on by the use of spurs.
- To incite or stimulate: "A business tax cut is needed to spur industrial investment” ( New York Times).
- To ride quickly by spurring a horse.
- To proceed in haste.