To spit, or to emit saliva from the mouth in small, scattered portions, as in rapid speaking.
- To spit out or spray particles of saliva or food from the mouth in noisy bursts.
- To spit out words or sounds in an excited or confused manner.
- To make sporadic spitting or popping sounds: The fire sputtered and died.
- Physics To cause the atoms of a solid to be removed from the surface by bombardment with atoms in a discharge tube.
- To eject in short bursts with spitting or popping sounds.
- To utter in an excited or confused manner.
- Physics To coat (a solid surface) with metal atoms by sputtering.
- The act or sound of sputtering.
- Matter emitted in sputtering.
- Excited or confused utterance.