The state or quality of being stable, or firm; steadiness; firmness; strength to stand without being moved or overthrown; as, the stability of a structure; the stability of a throne or a constitution.
- The state or quality of being stable, especially:
- Resistance to change, deterioration, or displacement.
- Constancy of character or purpose; steadfastness.
- Reliability; dependability.
- The ability of an object, such as a ship or aircraft, to maintain equilibrium or resume its original, upright position after displacement, as by the sea or strong winds.
- Roman Catholic Church A vow committing a Benedictine monk to one monastery for life.