To discolor by the application of foreign matter; to make foul; to spot; as, to stain the hand with dye; armor stained with blood.
- To discolor, soil, or spot.
- To bring into disrepute; taint or tarnish.
- To color (glass, for example) with a coat of penetrating liquid dye or tint.
- To treat (specimens for the microscope) with a reagent or dye that makes visible certain structures without affecting others.
- To produce or receive discolorations.
- A discolored or soiled spot or smudge.
- A blemish on one's moral character or reputation.
- A liquid substance applied especially to wood that penetrates the surface and imparts a rich color.
- A reagent or dye used for staining microscopic specimens.