One who, or that which, starts; as, a starter on a journey; the starter of a race.
- One that starts.
- An attachment for starting an internal-combustion engine without hand cranking. Also called self-starter.
- A device that initiates a flow of high voltage across the electrodes of a fluorescent lamp.
- Sports One who signals the start of a race.
- Sports A participant that starts in a game or race.
- Baseball The first pitcher for a team in a game.
- Baseball A pitcher who regularly begins games for a team.
- The first in a series, especially the first course of a meal; an appetizer.
- for starters Informal To begin with; initially: "Deborah believes him, indicating, for starters, that she isn't the brightest” ( Judith Crist).