A large, strong rope, employed to support a mast, by being extended from the head of one mast down to some other, or to some part of the vessel. Those which lead forward are called fore-and-aft stays; those which lead to the vessel's side are called backstays. See Illust. of Ship.
- To continue to be in a place or condition: stay home; stay calm.
- To remain or sojourn as a guest or lodger: stayed at a motel.
- To stop moving; halt.
- To wait; pause.
- To endure or persist: stayed with the original plan.
- To keep up in a race or contest: tried to stay with the lead runner.
- Games To meet a bet in poker without raising it.
- To stand one's ground; remain firm.
- Archaic To cease from a specified activity.
- To stop or halt; check.
- To postpone; delay.
- To delay or stop the effect of (an order, for example) by legal action or mandate: stay a prisoner's execution.
- To satisfy or appease temporarily: stayed his anger.
- To remain during: stayed the week with my parents; stayed the duration of the game.
- To wait for; await: "I will not stay thy questions. Let me go;/Or if thou follow me, do not believe/But I shall do thee mischief in the wood” ( Shakespeare).
- The act of halting; check.
- The act of coming to a halt.
- A brief period of residence or visiting.
- A suspension or postponement of a legal action or an execution: granted a stay to the prisoner's execution.
- stay put To remain in a fixed or established position.
- stay the course To hold out or persevere to the end of a race or challenge.
- To brace, support, or prop up.
- To strengthen or sustain mentally or spiritually.
- To rest or fix on for support.
- A support or brace.
- A strip of bone, plastic, or metal, used to stiffen a garment or part, such as a corset or shirt collar.
- A corset.
- Nautical A heavy rope or cable, usually of wire, used as a brace or support for a mast or spar.
- A rope used to steady, guide, or brace.
- Nautical To put (a ship) on the opposite tack or to come about.
Malayalam MeaningTransliteration ON/OFF | Not Correct/Proper?
പായ്മരക്കയർ - Paaymarakkayar | Paymarakkayar ;തൊഴിൽ പ്രതിഷ്ഠ - Thozhil Prathishda ;ഊന്നുകൊടുക്കുക - Oonnukodukkuka ;നിന്നുപോകുക - Ninnupokuka ;അകന്നു നിൽക്കുക - Akannu Nilkkuka ;ആലംബം - Aalambam | alambam ;