The joint next above the hock, and near the flank, in the hind leg of the horse and allied animals; the joint corresponding to the knee in man; -- called also stifle joint. See Illust. under Horse.
- To interrupt or cut off (the voice, for example).
- To keep in or hold back; repress: stifled my indignation.
- To kill by preventing respiration; smother or suffocate.
- To feel smothered or suffocated by or as if by close confinement in a stuffy room.
- To die of suffocation.
- The joint of the hind leg analogous to the human knee in certain quadrupeds, such as the horse.