To place or arrange in a compact mass; to put in its proper place, or in a suitable place; to pack; as, to stowbags, bales, or casks in a ship's hold; to stow hay in a mow; to stow sheaves.
- To place or arrange, especially in a neat, compact way: stowed his gear in the footlocker.
- To fill (a place or container) by packing tightly.
- To store for future use: stowed carrots and potatoes in the root cellar.
- Slang To refrain from; stop.
- To provide lodging for; quarter.
- stow away To hide oneself aboard a conveyance in order to obtain free transportation.
- stow away Informal To consume (food or drink) greedily.