To compress the windpipe of (a person or animal) until death results from stoppage of respiration; to choke to death by compressing the throat, as with the hand or a rope.
- To kill by squeezing the throat so as to choke or suffocate; throttle.
- To cut off the oxygen supply of; smother.
- To suppress, repress, or stifle: strangle a scream.
- To inhibit the growth or action of; restrict: "That artist is strangled who is forced to deal with human beings solely in social terms” ( James Baldwin).
- To become strangled.
- To die from suffocation or strangulation; choke.