To trip in walking or in moving in any way with the legs; to strike the foot so as to fall, or to endanger a fall; to stagger because of a false step.
- To miss one's step in walking or running; trip and almost fall.
- To proceed unsteadily or falteringly; flounder. See Synonyms at blunder.
- To act or speak falteringly or clumsily.
- To make a mistake; blunder.
- To fall into evil ways; err.
- To come upon accidentally or unexpectedly: "The urge to wider voyages . . . caused men to stumble upon New America” ( Kenneth Cragg).
- To cause to stumble.
- The act of stumbling.
- A mistake or blunder.