The aggregate of two or more numbers, magnitudes, quantities, or particulars; the amount or whole of any number of individuals or particulars added together; as, the sum of 5 and 7 is 12.
- Mathematics An amount obtained as a result of adding numbers.
- Mathematics An arithmetic problem: a child good at sums.
- The whole amount, quantity, or number; an aggregate: the sum of the team's combined experience.
- An amount of money: paid an enormous sum.
- A summary: my view of the world, in sum.
- The central idea or point; the gist.
- Mathematics To add.
- To give a summary of; summarize.
- sum up To present the substance of (material) in a condensed form; summarize: sum up the day's news; concluded the lecture by summing up.
- sum up To describe or assess concisely: an epithet that sums up my feelings.
- See Table at currency.