Any material structure or edifice built on something else; that which is raised on a foundation or basis
- A physical or conceptual structure extended or developed from a basic form.
- The part of a building or other structure above the foundation.
- The parts of a ship's structure above the main deck.
- The rails, sleepers, and other parts of a railway.
- In Marxist theory, the ideologies or institutions of a society as distinct from the basic processes and direct social relations of material production and economics.