A deputy; a delegate; a substitute.
- One that takes the place of another; a substitute.
- A person or animal that functions as a substitute for another, as in a social or family role.
- A surrogate mother.
- Psychology A figure of authority who takes the place of the father or mother in a person's unconscious or emotional life.
- Law A judge in New York and some other states having jurisdiction over the probate of wills and the settlement of estates.
- To put in the place of another, especially as a successor; replace.
- To appoint (another) as a replacement for oneself.