Cleaning off surfaces, or cleaning away dust, dirt, or litter, as a broom does; moving with swiftness and force; carrying everything before it; including in its scope many persons or things; as, a sweeping flood; a sweeping majority; a sweeping accusation.
- Having wide-ranging influence or effect: sweeping changes.
- Moving in or as if in a wide curve: a sweeping gesture; a sweeping glance.
- Indiscriminate; wholesale: sweeping generalizations.
- Overwhelming; complete: a sweeping victory.
- The action of one that sweeps.
- Things swept up; refuse.