To whirl, or cause to whirl, as in an eddy.
- To move with a twisting or whirling motion; eddy.
- To be dizzy or disoriented.
- To be arranged in a spiral, whorl, or twist.
- To cause to move with a twisting or whirling motion. See Synonyms at turn.
- To form into or arrange in a spiral, whorl, or twist.
- A whirling or eddying motion or mass: a swirl of white water.
- Something, such as a curl of hair, that coils, twists, or whirls.
- Whirling confusion or disorder: "high-pressure farce built around the swirl of mistaken identities” ( Jay Carr).