A total prohibition of intercourse with, use of, or approach to, a given person or thing under pain of death, -- an interdict of religious origin and authority, formerly common in the islands of Polynesia; interdiction.
- A ban or an inhibition resulting from social custom or emotional aversion.
- A prohibition, especially in Polynesia and other South Pacific islands, excluding something from use, approach, or mention because of its sacred and inviolable nature.
- An object, a word, or an act protected by such a prohibition.
- Excluded or forbidden from use, approach, or mention: a taboo subject.
- To exclude from use, approach, or mention; place under taboo.