- A hinged board or closure at the rear of a vehicle, such as a pick-up truck, that can be lowered during loading and unloading. Also called tailboard.
- One of the pair of gates downstream in a canal lock.
- To drive so closely behind (another vehicle) that one cannot stop or swerve with ease in an emergency.
- Slang To follow closely behind (another person), as in gaining access to an area requiring the use of an electronic identification card.
- To follow another vehicle too closely.
- To participate in a picnic that is served from the tailgate of a vehicle, as before a sports event.