A sailor; a seaman.
- A dark, oily, viscous material, consisting mainly of hydrocarbons, produced by the destructive distillation of organic substances such as wood, coal, or peat.
- Coal tar.
- A solid residue of tobacco smoke containing byproducts of combustion.
- To coat with or as if with tar.
- tar and feather To punish (a person) by covering with tar and feathers.
- tar and feather To criticize severely and devastatingly; excoriate.
- tarred with the same brush Having the same faults or bad qualities.
- Informal A sailor.