To soil, or change the appearance of, especially by an alternation induced by the air, or by dust, or the like; to diminish, dull, or destroy the luster of; to sully; as, to tarnish a metal; to tarnish gilding; to tarnish the purity of color.
- To dull the luster of; discolor, especially by exposure to air or dirt.
- To detract from or spoil; taint: a tragedy that tarnished our hopes.
- To cast aspersions on; sully: slander that tarnished the senator's image.
- To lose luster; become discolored.
- To diminish or become tainted.
- The condition of being tarnished.
- Discoloration of a metal surface caused by corrosion or oxidation.
- The condition of being sullied or tainted.