A state of holding on in a continuous course; manner of continuity; constant mode; general tendency; course; career.
- A continuous, unwavering course. See Synonyms at tendency.
- The word, phrase, or subject with which the vehicle of a metaphor is identified, as life in "Life's but a walking shadow” ( Shakespeare).
- The course of thought or argument running through something written or spoken.
- General sense; purport.
- Law The exact meaning or actual wording of a document as distinct from its effect.
- Law An exact copy of a document.
- Music The highest natural adult male voice.
- Music One who sings this part.
- Music An instrument that sounds within this range.
- Music A vocal or instrumental part written within this range.