A subject or topic on which a person writes or speaks; a proposition for discussion or argument; a text.
- A topic of discourse or discussion. See Synonyms at subject.
- A subject of artistic representation.
- An implicit or recurrent idea; a motif: a theme of powerlessness that runs through the diary; a party with a tropical island theme.
- A short composition assigned to a student as a writing exercise.
- Music The principal melodic phrase in a composition, especially a melody forming the basis of a set of variations.
- Linguistics A stem.
- Linguistics See topic.
- Usage Problem To provide with a particular topic or motif. See Usage Note at themed.