A shining material used for ornamental purposes; especially, a very thin, gauzelike cloth with much gold or silver woven into it; also, very thin metal overlaid with a thin coating of gold or silver, brass foil, or the like.
- Very thin sheets, strips, or threads of a glittering material used as a decoration.
- Something sparkling or showy but basically valueless: the tinsel of parties and promotional events.
- Made of or decorated with tinsel.
- Gaudy, showy, and basically valueless.
- To decorate with or as if with tinsel: tinsel a Christmas tree.
- To give a false sparkle to.