A mass of building standing alone and insulated, usually higher than its diameter, but when of great size not always of that proportion.
- A building or part of a building that is exceptionally high in proportion to its width and length.
- A tall, slender structure used for observation, signaling, or pumping.
- One that conspicuously embodies strength, firmness, or another virtue.
- Computer Science A computer system whose components are arranged in a vertical stack and housed in a tall, narrow cabinet.
- To appear at or rise to a conspicuous height; loom: "There he stood, grown suddenly tall, towering above them” ( J.R.R. Tolkien). See Synonyms at rise.
- To fly directly upward before swooping or falling. Used of certain birds.
- To demonstrate great superiority; be preeminent: towers over other poets of the day.