- A population center that is larger than a village and smaller than a city.
- A territorial and political unit governed by a town meeting, especially in New England.
- Informal A city: New York is a big town.
- Chiefly British A rural village that has a market or fair periodically.
- The residents of a town: The whole town was upset at the news.
- An area that is more densely populated or developed than the surrounding area: going into town to shop.
- The residents of a community in which a university or college is located, as opposed to the students and faculty: a dispute pitting town against gown.
- A group of prairie dog burrows.
- on the town Informal In spirited pursuit of the entertainment offered by a town or city.