A horizontal crossbar in a window, over a door, or between a door and a window above it. Transom is the horizontal, as mullion is the vertical, bar across an opening. See Illust. of Mullion.
- A horizontal crosspiece over a door or between a door and a window above it.
- A small hinged window above a door or another window.
- A horizontal dividing bar of wood or stone in a window.
- A lintel.
- Nautical Any of several transverse beams affixed to the sternpost of a wooden ship and forming part of the stern.
- Nautical The aftermost transverse structural member in a steel ship, including the floor, frame, and beam assembly at the sternpost.
- Nautical The stern of a square-sterned boat when it is a structural member.
- The horizontal beam on a cross or gallows.