To change the place or order of; to substitute one for the other of; to exchange, in respect of position; as, to transpose letters, words, or propositions.
- To reverse or transfer the order or place of; interchange.
- To put into a different place or order: transpose the words of a sentence. See Synonyms at reverse.
- Mathematics To move (a term) from one side of an algebraic equation to the other side, reversing its sign to maintain equality.
- Music To write or perform (a composition) in a key other than the original or given key.
- To render into another language.
- To alter in form or nature; transform.
- Music To write or perform music in a different key.
- To admit of being transposed.
- Mathematics A matrix formed by interchanging the rows and columns of a given matrix.