An annual or stated sum of money or other valuable thing, paid by one ruler or nation to another, either as an acknowledgment of submission, or as the price of peace and protection, or by virtue of some treaty; as, the Romans made their conquered countries pay tribute.
- A gift, payment, declaration, or other acknowledgment of gratitude, respect, or admiration: put up a plaque as a tribute to his generosity.
- Evidence attesting to some praiseworthy quality or characteristic: Winning the scholarship was a tribute to her hard work.
- A payment in money or other valuables made by one ruler or nation to another in acknowledgment of submission or as the price of protection or security.
- A tax imposed for such payment.
- Any payment exacted for protection.
- A payment or tax given by a feudal vassal to an overlord.
- The obligation to make such a payment.