A sign or memorial of a victory raised on the field of battle, or, in case of a naval victory, on the nearest land. Sometimes trophies were erected in the chief city of the conquered people.
- A prize or memento, such as a cup or plaque, received as a symbol of victory, especially in sports.
- A specimen or part, such as a lion's head, preserved as a token of a successful hunt.
- A memento, as of one's personal achievements.
- The spoils of war, dedicated in classical antiquity with an inscription to a deity and set up as a temporary monument on or near a battlefield, placed in an existing temple, or housed in a permanent, new structure.
- Architecture An ornamental marble carving or bronze casting depicting a group of weapons or armor placed upon a square or circular base.