A wind instrument of great antiquity, much used in war and military exercises, and of great value in the orchestra. In consists of a long metallic tube, curved (once or twice) into a convenient shape, and ending in a bell. Its scale in the lower octaves is limited to the first natural harmonics; but there are modern trumpets capable, by means of valves or pistons, of producing every tone within their compass, although at the expense of the true ringing quality of tone.
- Music A soprano brass wind instrument consisting of a long metal tube looped once and ending in a flared bell, the modern type being equipped with three valves for producing variations in pitch.
- Something shaped or sounding like this instrument.
- Music An organ stop that produces a tone like that of the brass wind instrument.
- A resounding call, as that of the elephant.
- Music To play a trumpet.
- To give forth a resounding call.
- To sound or proclaim loudly.