Farthest; most remote in space or time; extreme; last; final.
- Being last in a series, process, or progression: "As the ultimate arbiter of the Constitution, the Supreme Court occupies a central place in our scheme of government” ( Richard A. Epstein).
- Fundamental; elemental: an ultimate truth.
- Of the greatest possible size or significance; maximum: Has the ultimate diamond been found?
- Representing or exhibiting the greatest possible development or sophistication: the ultimate bicycle.
- Utmost; extreme: the ultimate insult.
- Being most distant or remote; farthest. See Synonyms at last1.
- Eventual: hoped for ultimate victory.
- The basic or fundamental fact, element, or principle.
- The final point; the conclusion.
- The greatest extreme; the maximum: actions that represented the ultimate in political expediency.