A shade, screen, or guard, carried in the hand for sheltering the person from the rays of the sun, or from rain or snow. It is formed of silk, cotton, or other fabric, extended on strips of whalebone, steel, or other elastic material, inserted, or fastened to, a rod or stick by means of pivots or hinges, in such a way as to allow of being opened and closed with ease. See Parasol.
- A device for protection from the weather consisting of a collapsible, usually circular canopy mounted on a central rod.
- Something that covers or protects.
- Air cover, especially during a military operation.
- Something that encompasses or covers many different elements or groups.
- Zoology The gelatinous, rounded mass that is the major part of the body of most jellyfish.