To write under something else; to subscribe.
- To assume financial responsibility for; guarantee against failure: underwrite a theatrical production.
- To sign (an insurance policy) so as to assume liability in case of specified losses.
- To insure.
- To insure against losses totaling (a given amount).
- To guarantee the purchase of (a full issue of stocks or bonds).
- To agree to buy the unsold part of (stock not yet sold publicly) at a fixed time and price.
- To write under or at the end of something.
- To subscribe to, especially to sign or endorse (a document).
- To support or agree to (a decision, for example).
- To act as an underwriter, especially to issue an insurance policy.