- To raise to a higher grade or standard: upgrading their military defenses.
- To improve the quality of (livestock) by selective breeding for desired characteristics.
- Computer Science To replace (a software program) with a more recently released, enhanced version.
- Computer Science To replace (a hardware device) with one that provides better performance.
- To exchange a possession for one of greater value or quality; trade up.
- Computer Science To replace software or hardware with an upgrade.
- The act or an instance of upgrading.
- Computer Science A software program that provides added enhancements over an earlier version.
- Computer Science A hardware device that provides greater performance than an earlier model.
- An upward incline.
- on the upgrade Improving or progressing.