A space entirely devoid of matter (called also, by way of distinction, absolute vacuum); hence, in a more general sense, a space, as the interior of a closed vessel, which has been exhausted to a high or the highest degree by an air pump or other artificial means; as, water boils at a reduced temperature in a vacuum.
- Absence of matter.
- A space empty of matter.
- A space relatively empty of matter.
- A space in which the pressure is significantly lower than atmospheric pressure.
- A state of emptiness; a void.
- A state of being sealed off from external or environmental influences; isolation.
- A vacuum cleaner.
- Of, relating to, or used to create a vacuum.
- Containing air or other gas at a reduced pressure.
- Operating by means of suction or by maintaining a partial vacuum.
- To clean with or use a vacuum cleaner.