A genus of climbing orchidaceous plants, natives of tropical America.
- Any of various tropical American vines of the genus Vanilla in the orchid family, especially V. planifolia, cultivated for its long narrow seedpods from which a flavoring agent is obtained.
- The seedpod of this plant. Also called vanilla bean.
- A flavoring extract prepared from the cured seedpods of this plant or produced synthetically.
- Flavored with vanilla: vanilla pudding.
- Lacking adornments or special features; basic or ordinary: "We went through a period of vanilla cars” ( Charles Jordan).