Having the capacity of varying or changing; capable of alternation in any manner; changeable; as, variable winds or seasons; a variable quantity.
- Likely to change or vary; subject to variation; changeable.
- Inconstant; fickle.
- Biology Tending to deviate, as from a normal or recognized type; aberrant.
- Mathematics Having no fixed quantitative value.
- Something that varies or is prone to variation.
- Astronomy A variable star.
- Mathematics A quantity capable of assuming any of a set of values.
- Mathematics A symbol representing such a quantity. For example, in the expression a2 + b2 = c2, a, b, and c are variables.