A viscid liquid, consisting of a solution of resinous matter in an oil or a volatile liquid, laid on work with a brush, or otherwise. When applied the varnish soon dries, either by evaporation or chemical action, and the resinous part forms thus a smooth, hard surface, with a beautiful gloss, capable of resisting, to a greater or less degree, the influences of air and moisture.
- A paint containing a solvent and an oxidizing or evaporating binder, used to coat a surface with a hard, glossy, transparent film.
- The smooth coating or gloss resulting from the application of this paint.
- Something suggestive of or resembling varnish.
- A deceptively attractive external appearance; an outward show.
- To cover with varnish.
- To give a smooth and glossy finish to.
- To give a deceptively attractive appearance to; gloss over.