Something hung up, or spread out, to intercept the view, and hide an object; a cover; a curtain; esp., a screen, usually of gauze, crape, or similar diaphnous material, to hide or protect the face.
- A length of cloth worn by women over the head, shoulders, and often the face.
- A length of netting attached to a woman's hat or habit, worn for decoration or to protect the head and face.
- The part of a nun's headdress that frames the face and falls over the shoulders.
- The life or vows of a nun.
- A piece of light fabric hung to separate or conceal what is behind it; a curtain.
- Something that conceals, separates, or screens like a curtain: a veil of secrecy.
- Biology A membranous covering or part, as that on the developing fruiting body of certain mushrooms; a velum.
- To cover with or as if with a veil: Dense fog veiled the bridge.
- To conceal or disguise.
- To wear a veil.