A silk fabric, having a short, close nap of erect threads. Inferior qualities are made with a silk pile on a cotton or linen back.
- A soft fabric, such as silk, rayon, or nylon, having a smooth, dense pile and a plain underside.
- Something suggesting the smooth surface of velvet.
- Smoothness; softness.
- The soft, furry covering on the developing antlers of deer.
- Informal The winnings of a gambler.
- Informal A profit or gain beyond what is expected or due.
- New England See milk shake. See Regional Note at milk shake.