A flight of missiles, as arrows, bullets, or the like; the simultaneous discharge of a number of small arms.
- A simultaneous discharge of a number of missiles.
- The missiles thus discharged.
- A bursting forth of many things together: a volley of oaths.
- Sports The flight of a ball before it touches the ground: kicked the soccer ball on the volley.
- Sports A shot, especially in tennis, made by striking the ball before it touches the ground.
- To discharge in or as if in a volley: volley musket shots at the attackers.
- Sports To strike (a tennis ball, for example) before it touches the ground.
- To be discharged in or as if in a volley.
- Sports To make a volley, especially in tennis.
- To move rapidly, forcefully, or loudly like missiles: The hailstones volleyed down. Charges and countercharges volleyed through the courtroom.