A solemn promise made to God, or to some deity; an act by which one consecrates or devotes himself, absolutely or conditionally, wholly or in part, for a longer or shorter time, to some act, service, or condition; a devotion of one's possessions; as, a baptismal vow; a vow of poverty.
- An earnest promise to perform a specified act or behave in a certain manner, especially a solemn promise to live and act in accordance with the rules of a religious order: take the vows of a nun.
- A declaration or assertion.
- To promise solemnly; pledge. See Synonyms at promise.
- To make a pledge or threat to undertake: vowing revenge on their persecutors.
- To make a vow; promise.
- To declare or assert: "Well, I vow it is as fine a boy as ever was seen!” ( Henry Fielding).