To give notice to by waving something; to wave the hand to; to beckon.
- To cause to go gently and smoothly through the air or over water.
- To convey or send floating through the air or over water.
- To float easily and gently, as on the air; drift: "It was a heat that wafted from streets, rolled between buildings and settled over sidewalks” ( Sarah Lyall).
- Something, such as an odor, that is carried through the air.
- A light breeze; a rush of air.
- The act of fluttering or waving.
- Nautical A flag used for signaling or indicating wind direction. Also called waif2.