Something deposited, laid, or hazarded on the event of a contest or an unsettled question; a bet; a stake; a pledge.
- An agreement under which each bettor pledges a certain amount to the other depending on the outcome of an unsettled matter.
- A matter bet on; a gamble.
- Something staked on an uncertain outcome; a bet. See Synonyms at bet.
- Archaic A pledge of personal combat to resolve an issue or case.
- To risk or stake (an amount or a possession) on an uncertain outcome; bet.
- To make a bet.