To be diminished; to decrease; -- contrasted with wax, and especially applied to the illuminated part of the moon.
- To decrease gradually in size, amount, intensity, or degree; decline.
- To exhibit a decreasing illuminated area from full moon to new moon.
- To approach an end.
- The act or process of gradually declining or diminishing.
- A time or phase of gradual decrease.
- The period of the decrease of the moon's illuminated visible surface.
- A defective edge of a board caused by remaining bark or a beveled end.
- on the wane In a period of decline or decrease: "The tide was near the turn and already the day was on the wane” ( James Joyce).