The lapwing; the wipe; -- so called from its cry.
- To shed (tears) as an expression of emotion: weep bitter tears of remorse.
- To express grief or anguish for; lament: wept the death of the child.
- To bring to a specified condition by weeping: She wept herself into a state of exhaustion.
- To exude or let fall (drops of liquid): "cuts the jellied milk into tiny, soft curds that weep whey” ( Kit Snedaker).
- To express emotion, such as grief or sadness, by shedding tears. See Synonyms at cry.
- To mourn or grieve: wept for the dead.
- To emit or run with drops of liquid: a sore that weeps.
- A period or fit of weeping. Often used in the plural.