A tract of land, or a region, uncultivated and uninhabited by human beings, whether a forest or a wide, barren plain; a wild; a waste; a desert; a pathless waste of any kind.
- An unsettled, uncultivated region left in its natural condition, especially:
- A large wild tract of land covered with dense vegetation or forests.
- An extensive area, such as a desert or ocean, that is barren or empty; a waste.
- A piece of land set aside to grow wild.
- Something characterized by bewildering vastness, perilousness, or unchecked profusion: the wilderness of the city; the wilderness of counterespionage; a wilderness of voices.