To separate, and drive off, the chaff from by means of wind; to fan; as, to winnow grain.
- To separate the chaff from (grain) by means of a current of air.
- To rid of undesirable parts.
- To blow (chaff) off or away.
- To blow away; scatter.
- To blow on; fan: a breeze winnowing the tall grass.
- To examine closely in order to separate the good from the bad; sift.
- To separate or get rid of (an undesirable part); eliminate: winnowing out the errors in logic.
- To sort or select (a desirable part); extract.
- To separate grain from chaff.
- To separate the good from the bad.
- A device for winnowing grain.
- An act of winnowing.