The time of the apparent revolution of the sun trough the ecliptic; the period occupied by the earth in making its revolution around the sun, called the astronomical year; also, a period more or less nearly agreeing with this, adopted by various nations as a measure of time, and called the civil year; as, the common lunar year of 354 days, still in use among the Mohammedans; the year of 360 days, etc. In common usage, the year consists of 365 days, and every fourth year (called bissextile, or leap year) of 366 days, a day being added to February on that year, on account of the excess above 365 days (see Bissextile).
- The period of time during which Earth completes a single revolution around the sun, consisting of 365 days, 5 hours, 49 minutes, and 12 seconds of mean solar time. In the Gregorian calendar the year begins on January 1 and ends on December 31 and is divided into 12 months, 52 weeks, and 365 or 366 days. Also called calendar year.
- A period approximately equal to a year in other calendars.
- A period of approximately the duration of a calendar year: We were married a year ago.
- A sidereal year.
- A solar year.
- A period equal to the calendar year but beginning on a different date: a tax-reckoning year; a farming year.
- A specific period of time, usually shorter than 12 months, devoted to a special activity: the academic year.
- Age, especially old age: I'm feeling my years.
- An indefinitely long period of time: it's been years since we saw her.
Malayalam MeaningTransliteration ON/OFF | Not Correct/Proper?
വര്ഷം - Varsham ;ഹായനം - Haayanam | Hayanam ;സ്വമേകം - Svamekam | swamekam ;ആണ്ട് - Aandu | andu ;ആയനം - Aayanam | ayanam ;ആണ്ട് - Aandu | andu ;