- Any of various warm-blooded, egg-laying, feathered vertebrates of the class Aves, having forelimbs modified to form wings.
- Such an animal hunted as game.
- Such an animal, especially a chicken or turkey, used as food: put the bird in the oven.
- See clay pigeon.
- Sports See shuttlecock.
- Slang A rocket, guided missile, satellite, or airplane.
- Slang A person, especially one who is odd or remarkable: a sly old bird.
- Chiefly British Slang A young woman.
- Slang A loud sound expressing disapproval; a raspberry.
- Slang Discharge from employment: lost a big sale and nearly got the bird.
- An obscene gesture of anger, defiance, or derision made by pointing or jabbing the middle finger upward.
- To observe and identify birds in their natural surroundings.
- To trap, shoot, or catch birds.
- for the birds Objectionable or worthless.
oiseau volaille nana type